Thursday, 23 February 2012

Red Bellied Black Snake encounter today!!!!

Well, I haven't seen a snake in some time on our walks. There has been enough water from the plentiful rain this year to keep them away from the lake where I take the dogs regularly. However, the last two weeks have been relatively dry. With that, the snakes are obviously heading to the lake for water. Today while walking, my youngest boy Astro who is 11 months old, pointed at something. Normally, when he does this it will be a bird and he will flush it into the air. However, this time he kept moving forwards and back again sniffing at something. So I decided to go over and take a look.  I very nonchalantly walked over to where Astro was to see what he was interested in. Well bugger me if it wasn't a fat Red Bellied Black Snake!!!! By the time I saw it, the toe of my shoe was maybe six inches from it. So if it had wanted to strike, it certainly had the range. More worrying was Astro had his nose about the same distance from it. Thankfully, my recall and leave it training worked and both Astro and Zsa Zsa walked away. I then made them sit and stay when i had them far enough from it and went back to take this pic for you all to enjoy, or not, depending on how you feel about snakes. To be honest, if it wasn't illegal to kill them and our gun laws were not so strict, I would have had a shot off from the 410 and hung it on the fence for the crows like we used to be able to when I was a kid. But, not these days unfortunately. I really don't like snakes and our Australian ones can be highly venomous.

No comments:

Post a Comment